Why join the Sands Decker team?
We’re always on the lookout for extraordinary people to add to the Sands Decker team. We work in a wide variety of markets, including retail, restaurant, education (K-12 and higher education), municipal, healthcare, and more! We’re proud to call Ohio home, but are licensed in nine states. Our dynamic team members engage in exciting projects with forward-thinking clients, and you can too!
What are you waiting for? Come work with us! Sands Decker offers A great company, with great people, delivering great projects.
We are committed to providing team members with a comprehensive benefits program that provides options to lead healthy and productive lives. Our small firm atmosphere offers profound opportunities to be productive, to learn, and to have fun. Our team works hard and enjoys their success.
Engineering Manager - Learn MoreDescription:
Sands Decker is seeking an experienced ENGINEERING MANAGER. The ideal person is experienced in the engineering field, and can work independently with little supervision. Sands Decker is an innovative and technology driven company; we value candidates who are highly motivated and enjoys learning new technologies.Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The Engineering Manager (EM) will communicate daily with office and field personnel as well as clients, review agencies, and contractors to facilitate delivery of the project scope; possess a thorough understanding of Federal, State, and local authority requirements with respect to site design, storm water management, utility infrastructure, street/road, and review and jurisdictional waters approval procedures. The EM will mentor staff engineers in developing engineering knowledge, design skills, and project management skills. The EM will meet with engineer staff (as needed) to resolve issues, convey company information (including design standards), and discuss impacts of new regulations on the design process.
The EM will work with PMs to develop feasible project scopes and budgets, provide support to the PMs with proposal writing, billing, and construction support along with possible funding and bidding. Exceptional communication and management skills will be essential as the EM will be responsible for coordinating multiple projects utilizing the assistance of the Project Scheduler as well as outside disciplines such as architectural, mechanical, electrical, structural, and geotechnical consultants. Coordinate with Project Managers regarding specific project milestones and deliverables.
Civil Engineering Design: The EM will oversee the assembly of design documents including dimension plans, grading plans, street/road, utility (sanitary, storm, and water) plans and profiles, details, specifications, general notes, and estimated quantities; drive to and attend project meetings; perform site visits when needed. Analyze site maneuverability using Vehicle Tracking within Civil 3D or other methods.
Storm Water Management: EM is required to oversee the preparation of storm water calculations and pipe sizing; calculate tributary areas and times of concentration, and prepare pre and post-development maps; and perform other related drainage design using Excel spreadsheets, AutoCAD Civil 3D and HydroCAD, and to use available software to prepare accurate and detailed Storm Water Management Reports (SWMR) and Storm Water Pollution Prevention Plans (SWP3) per state and local requirements, exercising a strong understanding of available storm water detention, treatment, and management methods.
Cost Estimating: The EM will oversee preparation of detailed construction cost estimates for Civil Engineering scope items; maintain reference files of project bid costs.
Agency submittals/approvals/meetings: The EM will review and/or oversee submittals for approval including construction drawings, completion of forms for OEPA, City, County, State and other review agency submittals; attend Commission and Board hearings when needed; prepare complete and accurate applications and technical data sheets and coordinate assembly and timely delivery of submittal packages to all applicable review agencies; represent the civil design team at project meetings including design coordination, technical reviews, pre-construction conferences site progress meetings.
Construction Phase: Review and/or assist in the review and processing of material submittals and respond to requests for information (RFI) during construction. Attend site meetings as necessary from time-to-time.Skills and other necessary requirements:
- Lead, manage, and hold Engineering and Design staff accountable
- Hold a current Ohio P.E. License
- Develop & implement methods and processes to meet operational goals
- Assist Project Managers (PM) in preparing and/or confirming project design budgets
- Assist engineers and designers with technical AutoCAD Civil 3D methods, storm water design and engineering calculations
- Identify means and methods to increase efficiency
- Maintain quality of services and documents
- Hire, train, and mentor the Engineering and Design Staff
- Project management: Manage clients and projects that you procure
Sands Decker is an equal opportunity employer with a relaxed, business-casual work environment. If you are interested in this position, please submit the form below or send your resume and cover letter to H.R. Manager at email@example.com. Contingent upon the applicant completing drug screening and background checks.
Design Technician - Learn MoreDescription:
Sands Decker is seeking an experienced CIVIL DESIGN TECHNICIAN to work in our Columbus, Lancaster, or Zanesville office. The ideal candidate is an experienced CAD Technician who can work independently with little supervision. We’re an innovative and technology driven company and our Civil Engineering group is looking for an individual that is highly motivated and enjoys learning new technologies.Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Candidate must be able to communicate well with our staff as well as clients and contractors. Position requires experience in AutoCAD Civil 3D. Work includes preparation of civil engineering drawings for site development including storm water drainage, sanitary sewers, waterlines, storm sewers, and supporting design information. Must have education and understanding of State of Ohio and local agency design and approval requirements.Skills and other necessary requirements:
- Must hold a current valid driver’s license
- Be able to work with others and as a team player
- Understands the need to complete work within deadlines
- Must be accountable and dependable
- Have the ability to work with outside contractors/clients in a team atmosphere
- Must be detail oriented and have the ability to enter data accurately
- Must have good communication skills
- BS degree in Civil Engineering – NOT required, but it’s a positive
Sands Decker is an equal opportunity employer and has a relaxed, business-casual work environment. If you are interested in this position, please submit the form below or send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Or by mail: Sands Decker H.R. Manager, 1495 Old Henderson Road, Columbus, OH 43220. Contingent upon the applicant completing drug screening and background checks.
Project Engineer - Learn MoreDescription:
Sands Decker is seeking an experienced CIVIL PROJECT ENGINEER to work in our Lancaster (or Columbus) office. The ideal candidate is an experienced project engineer who can work independently with little supervision. As an innovative and technology driven company, we value a candidate who is highly motivated and enjoys learning new technologies.Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Work includes design and preparation of civil engineering drawings associated with site development, storm water drainage and management, sanitary sewers, waterlines, wastewater treatment, and water treatment. The successful candidate will possess the experience, education, and understanding of State of Ohio and local agency design and approval requirements for Civil Engineering projects.Skills and other necessary requirements:
- Experience Requirement: 4 years preferred
- Educational Requirement: B.S. Civil Engineering preferred
- Licensing Requirement: Licensed Professional Engineer in Ohio is preferred
- Skilled in design of civil engineering and site design projects using AutoCAD Civil 3D
- In-depth knowledge of storm water detention, treatment, and management methods
- Skilled in the use of HydroCAD to prepare accurate and detailed Storm Water Management Reports (SWMR) and Storm Water Pollution Prevention Plans (SWP3)
- Maintains project schedules, coordinates and reports milestones and deliverables to clients and project managers
- Prepares complete and accurate applications and technical data sheets and coordinates assembly and timely delivery of submittal packages to all applicable review agencies
- Represents the civil design team at all project meetings
- Review construction material submittals and responds to requests for information (RFI) during construction
- Provides self-monitoring of quality control/quality assurance for drawings and other documents and assists others with similar tasks as needed
- Manages and oversees all aspects of project development including the utilization of additional staff and resources as needed to provide a successful completed project
- Works well with fellow staff, contractors, and clients in a team atmosphere
- Understands the need to complete work within deadlines
- Is accountable and dependable
- Must hold a current valid driver’s license
Sands Decker is an equal opportunity employer with an enjoyable business-casual work environment. If you are interested in this position, please submit the form below or send your resume and cover letter to H.R. Manager at email@example.com. Contingent upon the applicant completing drug screening and background checks. The position is based at our Columbus office with possible work from our Zanesville location.
- Scott Sands, P.E. President
- Loretta Armentrout, Project Manager
- Kathy Zalmon, Administrative/Accounting
- Mark Antonetz, P.E., Principal
- Rick Cox, Project Manager
- Ben Adams, P.S., E.I., Project Engineer
- Theresa Kanavel, Senior Project Manager
- Scott Miller, Survey Technician
- Mackenzie Yoke, Design Technician
It is the policy of Sands Decker to undertake affirmative action consistent with its obligations as a Federal contractor, for minorities and women, for persons with disabilities, and for special disabled veterans, Vietnam era veterans, and any other veterans who served on active duty during a war or in a campaign or expedition for which a campaign badge has been authorized. Sands Decker commits itself to apply every good faith effort to achieve prompt and full utilization of minorities in all segments of its workforce where deficiencies exist. These efforts conform to all legal and regulatory requirements, and are consistent with our standards of quality and excellence.